SWITZERLAND - Format change for permits
A modern, forgery-proof, non-biometric card in credit card format will replace the paper-based alien's card. The consultation on the necessary amendments to the regulation was initiated at the Federal Council meeting in December 2018 and will continue until spring 2019.
The permit cards of the following foreign nationals are affected:
- EU/EFTA citizens (L, B, C permit)
- Cross-border commuters irrespective of their nationality (G permit)
- Family members of diplomats engaged in gainful employment in Switzerland (Ci card)
- Asylum seekers during the asylum procedure (N-certificate)
- Temporarily admitted (F pass) and persons in need of protection (S pass)
The changeover will be launched from July 2019 to December 2020, each time a permit card is issued or renewed. From January 2021, only credit card sized permits will be issued.
BDO in Switzerland can support you in applying for work and residence permits for Switzerland and consult you about all aspects regarding immigration to Switzerland.